Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Simple Joys

Anyone who has spent more than a couple of days with me knows that I love bananas.  As in I eat at least one and a half bananas most days of the week, and I am still not tired of them.  I even received this thoughtful gift from my lovely boyfriend a few anniversaries back (to the dismay of my coworkers who thought I was smuggling inappropriate items into the childcare center).

Another thing you might know about me is that I love ice cream and will eat it every day if the opportunity presents itself (which it usually does when a carton of Tillamook Mudslide is tucked away in the freezer).  As you can imagine, a daily ice cream habit does not exactly fit in with my no-refined-ingredients-packaged-food-free lifestyle, so I have been on a quest to find a happy balance.  

Friends, I have found the solution: banana ice cream. 


This one doesn’t even need a recipe since all you do is peel and freeze some ripe bananas, blend them in a food processor and serve.  Done.  Ok, I will add that I used three bananas and a few splashes (approximately 3-4 tablespoons) of almond milk to achieve a smooth consistency and it yielded about 1.5 cups of ice cream.  I tossed in some chopped strawberries at the end, but you could try peanut butter, chocolate chips, cocoa powder...you get the idea.

Happy (almost) summer.

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen or heard about carrots that look like that, they're beautiful!

    -mckenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was obviously meant for your other post, but I also wanted to say for this post that I will definitely try this when I go home. I love bananas too and this sounds so great! By the way, i tried to make the skillet breads up at my apartment, but i don't have a blender or a mixer, so i tried to do it by hand, and let's just say you need some sort of mixer.

      -mckenzie

      Delete
    2. McKenzie,

      Try making the skillet breads again, but be sure to knead the dough for about five to ten minutes (until the dough is fully cohesive and only slightly sticky to the touch). The food processor essentially does this step for you, so more work is required if mixing by hand. It can be done though!

      Delete

I welcome your comments, suggestions, and/or high-fives, but let's please be kind. Thanks!